Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rugged Maniac 2013

I'm a huge fan of "adventure" races; I think it's much more fun than just running on the road. My sister Diana and I did the Rugged Maniac 5k at Portland International Raceway together.

First we must get our "outfits" on.

August is lookin' good!

I'm so grateful my parents came along - Dad watched my kids and Mom took lots of pictures!

Ready to get RUGGED!

Diana took the time to put on her "Age 21" bracelet and her "Free Beer" bracelet (which she will not need!)...

...then as we heard the final call for our wave to begin, she remembered she hadn't changed into her crappy shoes! Ha ha. 

The first obstacle was climbing through this waist-deep mud pit with a hundred or so other people. 

Diana navigating the uphill barbed wire crawl.

My favorite picture! (Rugged Maniac even posted it on their facebook page.) :)

My mom was only able to photograph a handful of obstacles near the finish line. There were over 20 obstacles over 3.1 miles.

Lots of climbing, lots of mud, tunnels, balance beams, and more.



And the big finish!

That was way more fun than the rest of it - lots of pretty tough challenges.

TA-DA!

We did it.

Rugged chicks!

Madelyn did NOT want a hug from Mommy!

Our amazing photographer and supporter!

Next came the group showers. FREEZING cold water.
We had a little water fight with the guys next to us, and there were bits of debris everywhere, if you catch my drift. 

We can't wait to do this again...thinking about Race the Reaper this fall. It's 6 miles and the obstacles are SERIOUS.  I get excited watching the video on their home page - check it out!  We want my dad to do Rugged Maniac with us next year, he would do great!

4 comments:

Bridget said...

How would you compare this run with other adventure runs? I know you've done Warrior Dash. I thought that had the fun/adventure/difficulty/distance balance just about right (at least for my skill level). The Race the Reaper looks too hard! :)

Anita said...

I enjoyed seeing the pictures of you and your family's fun day. Makes me want to do something like that... hmmm... :)

Congratulations to you and your sister!

Kristen said...

I would say this was pretty similar to Warrior Dash, maybe a teeny bit harder.

Julee said...

It looks awesome! I hope to do one some day. You look so rugged!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails